On the bed and In bed
Students often ask about the difference between “in bed” and “on the bed”. Fortunately, it’s not too tough.
1. in bed = under the covers
• My wife is lying in bed.
• I like to read in bed before I go to sleep.
Notice we don’t say “the”.
X I like reading in the bed.
O I like reading in bed.
2. on the bed = not under the covers
• Marcus! Stop jumping on the bed!
• My dad sat on the bed and read me a story.
Now just be careful of any monsters lurking under the bed, and you’ll be ok!
Like this entry? Have questions or want to talk? Leave a comment or get in touch any time.